Thursday, February 20, 2014

Three Ways to Save 30% or More on Your Water Usage This Year



Okay, so we are experiencing a drought. Our rainy season is not over so there is still some hope, but either way we should be doing all that we can to conserve water. It is precious. I want to propose that we can easily save 30 to 50% on our water usage and still have a green healthy lawn and landscape. I know some of you have made up your mind that you are just going to let the lawn go dry which is a big mistake for countless reasons. (Cost to replace, loss of benefits of turf such as cooling, filtering, noise abatement, home value, aesthetics). It should not be all or nothing. There are great solutions below.

Damaged riser
First I would start with the sprinklers. Today there are much more efficient heads that will in themselves save 20-30% by providing more uniform coverage and a slower precipitation rate greatly reducing runoff. Toro and Hunter offer some really good upgrades to your old and inefficient heads. Along with this we always recommend regularly checking your system for leaks, coverage, plugged nozzles and the like which offers additional water savings.

Secondly I would replace or enhance the traditional sprinkler control box to make it a “smarter” clock. There are smart clocks with a weather station or with satellite input that can self-adjust to the weather outside and adjust daily to the needs of the landscape. A cheaper alternative is adding a device that feeds a normal controller historical data and adjusts daily and seasonally so you are not watering the same day after day throughout the spring, summer, and fall regardless of the demand. These steps can easily save 30% or more, too.

Irritrol Climate Logic
Finally I would strongly consider the use of quality long-term soil surfactants in the landscape. They will increase the water use efficiency 30% or more by improving water movement into the soil and distribution in the profile. Runoff will be greatly reduced and the soil’s ability to hold more water will significantly increase as well. Assuming there is adequate coverage, localized dry spots will disappear and the plants will find more water throughout the root zone. One treatment can enhance water management up to 4 months. Imagine saving 20-50% on your water bill and doing your part in water conservation and still having a great lawn and healthy plants!

Water is indeed very precious and so is your outdoor landscape. Taking on one, two, or all three of these steps will save water and your investment. 
If you have any questions about conserving water please call Weed Man at 559-266-1624, Aqua Man Irrigation Solutions at 559-475-7777, visit our website at Fresno.WeedManUSA.com or visit us on Facebook at Facebook.com/FresnoWeedMan.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that sprinkler riser must've gotten hit by something to cause it to be that damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always a fan of letting technology making life a bit easier, that smart clock weather station looks like my new toy this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow its really an awesome post. Adding technology to the lawn along with landscaping is a great idea. Thanks for sharing this post. Landscapingphoenix.mobi offers such great landscaping tactics with all latest landscaping techniques and expert landscape contractors in Goodyear Arizona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 30% or more? That sounds like a win to me. We can't afford to go too much into landscaping services, but we can make lots of improvements on our own. Last year we did a pretty good job keeping the lawn healthy looking on our own. Thiago | http://www.thecuttingedgeknoxville.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when my lawn looked liked that. It always looks like that after winter and it always makes me sad. I am just glad that I can get it back to looking normal every time.
    Jak Manson | http://southernmowingandslashing.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would really like to get my lawn granulated this summer. It will help keep things green and insect free. What would you recommend for keeping the chiggers away?

    http://www.greenview.com/lawn.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, i didn't even know this kind of technology existed. This might be a good idea to install in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a productive knowledge, you shared. We also use technology in lawn care.it makes quite simple and that can help to make healthy lawn.
    http://www.jkpropertymanagement.net/

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I just finished putting in our new landscaping. I want to make sure that I am able to take care of it so these tips will come in hand. I don't have a green thumb so I need all of the help I can get.

    Alena | http://www.turfcareunlimited.com/lawn.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband has been trying to get our lawn greener since the start of summer. One of the problems we are facing is the hot climate where we live. Thanks for your tips on using a more efficient sprinkler head. We will have to try that to save water while still keeping our lawn green.

    Amber Johnson | http://www.superiorlawn.com/maintenance.htm

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just recently bought my first house with a lawn. Before this I have always lived in the mountains and not had a landscaped yard. I am amazed by how expensive watering it can be! I will have to try some of these tips. http://www.valentinolawncare.net/services

    ReplyDelete
  12. Choosing a turf that has less water requirement might help you save a lot. These types of turf are usually classified as warm season grasses. Some examples of warm season grasses are Sir Walter Buffalo Turf, Couch and Kikuyu. You can find more information about these turf varieties here:

    J&B Buffalo Turf Supplies (http://buffaloturf.com.au/buffalo-turf-varieties.php)
    Sydney Lawn & Turf Supplies Sydney (http://www.sydneylawnandturf.com.au/instant-lawn-turf-varieties/)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog... Very nice colors & theme as well as the topic you selected is superb, in final words I can say that this is truly great!
    Artificial Grass Cheshire

    ReplyDelete
  14. Generally, as the article mentioned, if your lawn is more healthy, it won't require as much water. One thing you can do to make your lawn more healthy, is to fertilize it. I would recommend looking online to see what lawn fertilizing services are available in your area.
    http://www.steeplechaseturf.com/Home/Fertilization

    ReplyDelete
  15. That first picture is exactly what my lawn looks like as soon as it hits July. It doesn't matter how much water I use-- I still get dead patches. I've tried everything I can possibly think of, and nothing's worked. Maybe it's time to ask a professional. | http://www.lorenzosgardeningservice.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Choose a drought resistant turf because they require less watering. This can help you save time and cost. Examples of Australian-bred warm season grasses are Eureka Kikuyu, Nullarbor Couch and Sir Walter buffalo turf. Each has its own qualities and maintenance requirement. Remember to consider your soil and environmental conditions when choosing turf.

    ReplyDelete